Be more efficient cleaning your home and you'll have more free time. Do you spend hours cleaning each day and sometimes have marathon scrub sessions on the weekends? In this article we will cover some tips and shortcuts to get many of your cleaning tasks done without spending any extra time.
Here are some ideas on how to gain some time back by being more efficient in your home cleaning:
- Complete your tasks in the morning before the kids awake so they will not slow you down. You will be amazed how much you can get done when you focus and are not interrupted.
- Decide when you will get your cleaning tasks done and still to the plan.
- Use a timer to test just how fast you can be.
- Spend 30 seconds scrubbing the tiles while taking a shower. This may not seem like much but doing a little bit every day will keep your shower clean and a separate scrubbing session will never be required. This is an especially wonderful tip if you dislike bathroom cleaning.
- Take out the trash or recycling while walking to the car. You probably walk to your car daily and taking the trash or recycling with you requires almost no additional effort and saves you an extra trip. Tip: Taking these out every few days will also prevent odors from taking root in the kitchen.
- Dust while talking on the phone. Use a headset so your hands are free and dust surfaces, pictures, baseboards, doors, etc while you chat.
- Use a robot vacuum like the Roomba. Some units can be scheduled to run everyday. Clean your carpets while you are not even home. It does not get any better than that!
- Clear your spaces. A clean counter takes less time to wipe off and vacuuming is fast if there are not things to be picked up off the floor.
- Keep a basket near the stairs. As you find items that need to go to another level put them in the basket. Then when you head upstairs take those items with you and put them away. You will have less clutter and it should take less than a minute to put the items away. (no extra trips up and down the stairs required)
- Wipe down counter immediately. This results spills from hardening and becoming difficult to clean up. Also, you are already in the room and wiping down the counter will only take a few seconds.
by Lori Thayer